Wednesday, April 18, 2018

This is what reform will look like…Yikes!

There is a lot of talk about reforming healthcare in America and a lot of debate about what reform really is.  Is it “death squads” as have been proposed by some on the right, or is it a strong government role through a public option, as insisted on by many on the left?  Somewhere in between those two extremes falls the real citizens that struggle with healthcare issues and how to pay for them.

I am a regular citizen.  I have no special political connections, am not wealthy and do not work for government or a healthcare entity.  This is my story.

I recently changed my healthcare coverage from a group plan with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) to an individual plan after I left my employer late last year.  From the moment I initiated the enrollment process, I have been pushed around by this insurance company, BCBSM and the healthcare insurance industry.


I couldn’t get a policy with another insurance company because of a preexisting condition.  The most affordable policy, at (initially $267/mo.) has a $2,500 deductible.  The policy only covered me and my wife.  Our kids were covered by a state-run healthcare insurance program.

BCBSM then requested and received a rate increase in excess of 20 percent.  Now, as I seek prescription coverage for a drug protocol that I’ve been on for 10 years, they are trying to undo what has proven to be a successful treatment regimen.

BCBSM would rather change medication and risk causing an imbalance in my health status to save a small amount of money.  If the new medication causes negative side effects, a new round of doctor visits, tests and out-of-pocket costs (for me) that won’t be covered and could be very expensive.

A public option would help to reduce the stress of wondering what I will do if I can’t afford the policy I have.  It will make my current policy more affordable because true competition will be in effect.

Sure, there is a huge risk that a government run program is much worse and bureaucratic than anything the private sector could ever come up with.  But, unless you have been pushed up against the wall by insurance companies, a public option seems fair and long overdue to make overall health coverage affordable for everyone.

As an individual, I have ZERO leverage against BCBSM forcing me to change medications.  They are trying to make me do this without even getting a doctor’s opinion!

A public option along with real healthcare reform is the only way this can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment